- 4 cups butternut squash cut into 1/2″ chunks
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, whole and un-peeled
- 1 med yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbl (vegan) margarine
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 1/2 tbl (vegan)cheese. I recommend Daiya brand mozzarella
- 3 1/2 cups rigatoni
1. Set oven to 400 degrees. Toss squash with olive oil and spread out evenly onto a baking pan. Toss on the un-peeled garlic cloves and sprinkle withsalt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 mins until squash has browned on the bottom.
2. Meanwhile, melt margarine in a large skillet over med/high heat. Addsliced onions and cook stirring over high for 5 minutes until they begin to brown. Reduce the heat to medium/low and saute for 10 minutes to caramelize.
3. Sprinkle in herbs and (vegan) cheese and saute 1 minute. Peel your garlicand add the roasted cloves along with the squash and cook mixing well with a wooden spoon just until blended.
4. Let the mixture cool slightly as you boil water for the pasta. Cook pastaaccording to package directions.
- This sauce is hearty and delicious, perfect for a crisp autumn evening with a side of kale, or to take to work or school the next day accompanied by a shiny red apple.
- Butternut Pasta Sauce freezes well so make a double batch so you have it on and later in the week.
- Instead of topping noodles, get fancy by filling ravioli with it and dressing with toasted pecans, olive oil, and fresh sage.
- Make a heartier meal by substituting Butternut Sauce for marinara in a pan of spinach lasagna.
- Nix the pasta idea and spread on a sandwich with a couple slices of Tofurkey, some Tofutti mozerella, and thinly sliced apple.
- Serve warm as an autumnal party dip with hearty crackers, or root vegetable chips