- 1 large bunch collard greens
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 3 oz (vegan) bacon
- salt and pepper
1. Prep the collards by cutting out the tough stems like so.
2. Fold your collard leaves over once and slice across into uniform strips.
3. Fill a large bowl with tepid water. Add greens by the handful and swishto remove dirt before transferring greens to a towel or colander to dry. Repeat this process if necessary until greens are clean.
4. Slice your (vegan) bacon into small pieces. Heat a skillet with a little oil and pan fry the (vegan) bacon on med high for a couple minutes until brown and crisp.
. Remove (vegan) bacon from the pan and set aside on a plate.
6. Add the damp greens to the pan by the handful with a few pinches of salt. They wont all fit at once so fill the skillet, cover and cook about a minute, then uncover and stir in another handful. Cook them down for about 5 minutes. They should be wilted but bright in color.
7. Uncover the greens. Stir in your bacon and pomegranate and mix well over medium heat for about a minute. Add pepper to taste.
- Swap collards for red chard for an even more colorful take.
- Serve leftovers on rice or barley for lunch the next day
- Save your collard stalks for vegetable stock