One of our favorite cold weather recipes! The apples and peanuts feel hearty, and the colorful nature of the dish will lighten up the mood around the dinner table. While any faux-chicken would taste great with this dish, our favorite brand to use in this recipe is an asian mock meat hilariously named “Veggie Chicken Ham”.
You can find Veggie Chicken Ham in many asian groceries in the frozen foods section. If the grocery you go to is good, you’ll find a whole section of the freezer isle devoted to faux meats. Veggie chicken ham is sometimes simply labeled as vegetarian ham and in reality, is a large pinkish log of seitan. Look for Veggie Chicken Ham’s cousin Veggie Mini Chicken Ham if you really want to have a laugh.
A note when buying a log of Chicken Ham: Though refreezing isn’t ususally the best thing to do with food, we still recommend thawing your chicken ham in the fridge , slicing into several portions, and storing the sliced pieces back in the freezer for stir-fry sized amounts that are always at hand.
Curried Chicken And Apples
- 1 & 1/2 cups sliced faux chicken or seitan
- 1 cup apple, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 & 1/2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shelled unsalted peanuts
- 2 TBL minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 TBL red curry paste
- 2 TBL cornstarch
- 1 TBL vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Saute onions, ginger, and turmeric, partially covered, for 5 minutes until onions begin to sweat and soften.
3. Add in the chicken, apples, mushrooms, and peanuts. Add more oil if needed and turn heat up to medium/high. Stir-fry mixture for 3 minutes until the chicken begins to brown and the mushrooms begin to soften.
5. Serve on a bed of basmati rice garnished with fresh cilantro.