Everybody loves chocolate chip cookies, so why is it so difficult to find a good vegan friendly recipe for them? We’ve tried crunchy, mealy, and health conscious versions of this all-american treat which in the end, are never what we’re looking for. What do we love in a chocolate chip cookie? A buttery flavor, crumbly soft texture, and a heapin’ helpin’ of chocolate! That’s what!
With a little help from our friends at The Joy Of Baking, we’ve decoded a vegan version of this cookie staple that everyone will go gaga over. Give it a whirl tonight and see how long it takes to disappear!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance margarine (or other vegan margarine) at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Ener-G Egg Replacer egg (1 1/2 tsp mixed with 2 tbl warm water)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips or 1 1/4 cup chocolate chunks
2. In a medium bowl cream together the sugar, brown sugar, and margarine with an electric mixer (or a wooden spoon) until fluffy. Mix in the Ener-G egg and vanilla.
3. Gradually add the margarine mixture to the flour mixture, beating as you go. Continue to mix until all the flour mixture has been incorporated. Stir in your chocolate chips.
5. Bake the cookies for 15 minutes. Allow to rest 2 minutes before transferring baked cookies from the pan to the cooling rack.
Makes 15-18 chocolate chip cookies